IME stands for Input Method Editor. In Windows, it is an important component and it can be used to accommodate keyboard entries for a lot of different languages. For some reasons, you may want to disable or remove it, but you do not know how to do it. Here, we have the methods that you are able to do to remove or disable Microsoft IME.
Removing IME Through The Settings
If you want to remove or disable Microsoft IME, it is very easy. You are able to follow the steps below.
- First, you have to access Settings on your PC.
- After that, you need to open System and then choose Time and Language.
- There, you have to choose the Language and then click on Remove.
If you access the Answer Microsoft site, you are able to find there is someone who also wants to remove or disable Microsoft IME. He says that he uses two system languages and keyboard layouts including German (QWERTZ) and Japanese (Google IME). Then, he updates his PC and he finds that a third keyboard layout was added without his consent: Japanese (Microsoft IME). He does not want it since it makes it more tedious to switch between the German and Google IME keyboards when he uses Windows+Space to toggle between them.
When he tries to remove it, he goes to the Settings and then chooses Languages. After that, he clicks on Japanese and then chooses Keyboards and removes the Microsoft IME there. However, he finds that it is not listed anywhere so he cannot get rid of it. So, he asks how to remove or disable the Microsoft IME.
Then, there is another user who tries to answer this problem. He answers that he also had the same problem and he could solve it. The thing that he did is to access Settings and then go to the Languages. After that, he chooses Japanese and then chooses Keyboards. There, you will not see Microsoft IME even though it already comes up when you switch language. So, you are able to add Microsoft IME to the list and then you have to remove it immediately. So now, Microsoft IME will not show up anymore.
If you find the same problem, you are able to do this method to fix it.
If you want to uninstall IME 2010 Traditional Chinese, there are some methods that you are able to use as we explain below.
Uninstalling IME 2010 Traditional Chinese Through Programs and Features
- If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7, you have to open Programs and Features by clicking on Start and then type uninstall a program in the Search programs and files box. After that, click on the result.
- If you are on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, you are able to open the WinX menu and you are able to do that by holding Windows and X keys together. Then, click on Programs and Features.
- Now, you have to look for Microsoft Office IME 2010 Traditional Chinese in the list and then click on it and click on Uninstall to start the uninstallation.
Uninstalling Microsoft Office IME 2010 Traditional Chinese with Its Uninstaller.exe
- The first thing that you have to do is to access the installation folder of Microsoft Office IME 2010 Traditional Chinese.
- After that, you need to find uninstall.exe or unins000.exe.
- Now, you have to double click on its uninstaller and then you have to follow the wizard to be able to uninstall Microsoft Office IME 2010 Traditional Chinese.
Things To Do If IME Is Disabled
Now, what can we do if we find that IME is disabled on our PC? There are some methods that you are able to apply for fixing this issue. Here they are.
Turning On Input Indicator
It is important for you to know that the input indicator is a factor which is essential which can make IME disabled. If you find that it is turned off, you will not be able to change the input language or keyboard layouts. To fix it, you are able to turn on the Input Indicator by following the steps below.
- First, you have to right click the Taskbar and then select Taskbar Settings.
- After that, you have to click on the Turn System Icons On or Off in the Notification Area section.
- When you are on the new page, you have to make sure the switch button of the Input Indicator is turned on.
Changing Input Methods
Changing Input Methods is another way that you are able to do to fix IME disabled issue. You can follow the steps below.
- The first thing that you have to do is to open the Windows Settings app.
- After that, you have to go to Time & Language and then choose Region & Language.
- In this step, you have to click on Advanced Keyboard Settings in the right pane.
- Then, you have to check Let Me Use A Different Input Method For Each App Window option.
- Now, you are able to restart your PC and then check whether the issue has been resolved.
Enabling IME Icon
IME icons can disappear from the Taskbar and you may think that IME is disabled. However, actually IME may not be disabled and you are able to change the input language by pressing Alt + Shift. If it is applicable in your case, you are able to get the IME icon back. How to do that? You have to right click the Taskbar and then click on the Show Touch Keyboard Button option from the pop-up menu. If you do this, it will enable the touch keyboard and then you will see that the IME appear again.
Removing and Adding the Language Again
If you use multiple languages on your PC but you are not able to switch between them, you can remove the current languages and then add them again.
- First, you have to access the Settings and then go to Time & Languages. After that, you need to go to Region & Language.
- Now, you have to choose an additional language and then click on the Remove button.
- You are able to repeat the operation to other installed languages to remove all of them except English the Windows display language.
- Now, you have to click on Add A Language to add the languages that you need.
- If you have done with it, now you have to restart your PC and see whether the issue is fixed.