In Animal Crossing, fishing is the activity which is done by your character where they catch fish using a fishing rod. This activity is not only for entertainment or recreation. But, it is also an important skill for getting money. If you want to fish, you have to get a fishing rod. Then, places like ponds, rivers, river pool, oceans or waterfalls can be visited to catch fish.
How to Catch Fish
You are able to catch fish if you have a fishing rod. You can have it by crafting it or you can buy it from the shop in Resident Services. After that, you have to equip it and then go to the water. There, you have to look for the small dark shadow of fish swimming in the nearby area. In the location of fish found, you have to cast your rod to the shadow and then wait for the fish to hook on. You can press A button to lure it in.
Talking about fishing, there are several things that you need to know so that you can get the fish in the game.
- You have to cast your line so that it will land in front of the fish.
- You need to mind the current. If you see that your line is a little bit far away, the current can bring it closer or further from the fish.
- It is important for you to know that fish will only nibble a max of 5 times before swimming away.
- You have to listen carefully when you are fishing. It is because if there is a fish which is just nibbling, there will be a light splash. If there is a fish which has latched on, there will be a louder dunking sound. The thing that you have to do here is to reel it in by pressing and holding A.
- Do you have trouble when fishing? If so, it is better for you to buy the colorful rod from Nook’s Cranny since the bobber is a little bit bigger and neon green. Its size and color makes it easier to see.
- All parts of the island such as ocean shore, ponds, rivers, waterwalls, the mouths of rivers will see different fish which appear.
- When you are casting, you have to make sure that you aim for just in front of the fish. If it does not take notice straight away, you have to pull the line up. Fish have different visibilities, so you are able to try casting it closer next time.
On Youtube, there are some videos that you are able to watch about how to fish in Animal Crossing. Here are some videos that you can watch on Youtube about how to fish in Animal Crossing.
- A video of Release-Fire entitled Animal Crossing New Horizons Fishing and How to Fish which was uploaded on March 19th, 2020. The duration is 2 minutes and 11 seconds and it has been watched more than 326k times.
- A video of Video Games Guides & Gameplay Videos entitled Animal Crossing New Horizons: How to Fish with a Fishing Rod which was uploaded on March 20th, 2020. The duration of the video is 1 minute and 35 seconds and it has been watched more than 24k times.
- A video of MonkeyKingHero entitled How to Fish in Animal Crossing: New Horizons which was uploaded on March 20th, 2020. The duration of the video is 1 minute and 4 seconds and it has been watched more than 13k times.
Catching Fish Using Bait with a Manila Clam
When you are exploring the shores of your island, you may see little holes which appear with sports of water. If you see this thing, you are able to dig at the location and it will result in items being found. One of the most common items is the Manila Clam.
When you get this item for the first time, you will learn a DIY recipe for Fish Bait. You have to go to a DIY workshop to craft it whenever you want. If you want to use Fish Bait in this game, you have to stand at water and then choose the item from your inventory. There, there will be the option to Scatter Food. If you do that, it will cause a fish to appear instantly and it permits you to be able to fish there.
The fish that you will find with this Fish Bait will not be rarer than any that you find ordinarily. However, if you use Fish Bait to catch fish, you are able to control where the fish appear.
Catching Rare Fish in Animal Crossing
The rare fish can have a higher price. So, if you are able to catch rare fish, you will have a chance to get more money. However, finding rare fish are difficult. It requires luck, some skill in catching them because they tend to be more skittish when biting the lure.
Do you want to find rarer fish and sell them to get money? You need to know the rules below.
- If you want to make money from selling fish, you have to keep scanning the sea because it is where the most expensive larger fish can appear. So, you have to stick to the coast.
- If you see that the fish has a fin, it may be a shark. This is one of the few fish types that you are able to find ahead of catching.
- Even though lures do not increase your chances, they will force a fish to come up in unusual locations such as the pier and it saves you some effort in waiting.
- There is no confirmation that rain can increase the chances of certain types of fish. But, Coelacanth will only come up when it rains and it can give you an extra incentive to get out to the coast when it does.
- For your information, Mystery Islands have higher fish spawns than your island. Even though the layout is random, but it is able to help you better catch fish in certain locations mainly if you use the scaring tactic.