For some users, getting a blue screen on PC may be something that can make them panic. It is because they may think that their PC experiences a big issue which needs them to fix it to an expert. Actually, you do not need to go to the expert first because you can try to fix it by yourself first.
When you get a blue screen, there will be an error code. One of the error codes is dxgmms2.sys. If you get this error code, here are some solutions that you are able to apply on your computer.
Reinstalling Graphics Card Drivers
A blue screen error dxgmms2.sys can be caused by the graphics card driver on your PC which is damaged. Some people say that this error also is also caused by the newest NVIDIA graphics driver. So, you are able to reinstall the NVIDIA Graphics card drivers by following the steps below.
- First, you have to right click on the Windows Start menu and then select Device Manager from the context menu.
- After that, you have to expand Display Adapters on the Device Manager window and then the NVIDIA graphics driver and choose Uninstall device.
- Now, you have to click on the Uninstall to confirm your operation in the pop up window and then you have to follow the prompts to uninstall the drivers.
- Some people say that using the 347.88 build NVIDIA driver can solve dxgmms2.sys error. So, you are able to try it. You can download the driver on the NVIDIA site in the download page.
- If the download process has been done, now you have to follow the instructions on the screen to install the graphics driver. After that, you are able to reboot your computer.
In case you are using other brands of graphics card like Intel and AMD, you are able to reinstall their graphics card drivers which can help you get rid of the corrupted drivers and fix the dxgmms2.sys error.
Changing the TdrDelay Value in Registry
Another method that you are able to do to fix dxgmms2.sys error is changing the TdrDelay Value in Registry. For your information, the blue screen error dxgmms2.sys error can happen because of graphics drivers not responding. So, you can fix this error with this solution.
- First, you have to open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows key and R key on the keyboard. Then, you have to type ‘regedit’ and then press Enter key.
- In this second step, you have to copy and paste this path to the address bar in the Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDrivers
- Now, you have to find the TdrDelay value in the right pane. If you cannot find it, you are able to create one by right clicking the empty space in the right pane and then choose New > DWORD (32-bit). Then, you have to name it as TdrDelay.
- Here, you have to double click TdrDelay. Then, you have to set Base as Decimal and change its value data to 10. Then, do not forget to click on OK to permit the changes.
- After that, you are able to exit the Registry Editor and check this prevents the error from being present on your PC.
Running DirectX Diagnostic Tool
For your information, the dxgmms2.sys error is related to DirectX Graphics APIs. But, what is DirectX? It is a set of application programming interfaces (API) which is developed by Microsoft to be able to handle tasks which are related to multimedia applications like 3D games and HD videos. So, if you experience problems such as dxgmms2.sys BSOD error when you are playing a game or videos, you are able to try to run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool to fix the error.
How to run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool? If you want to run it on Windows 10, you are able to type dxdiag in the Windows 10 Cortana search box and then click on the best match. After that, you have to follow the instructions on the screen to run the tool and fix the error.
Disabling Hardware Acceleration
Do you know the function of the hardware acceleration feature? It is used to maximize performance of computers. However, sometimes it could lead to dxgmms2.sys blue screen error. Even though you do not have access to change hardware acceleration in Setting on Windows 10, you are able to disable it by editing Registry.
The instructions below can be followed by you to disable hardware acceleration. to fix the dxgmms2.sys error.
- The first thing that you have to do is to right click on the Windows 10 Start menu and then select the Run to open the Run dialog box.
- When you are in the run box, you have to type ‘regedit’ and then click on OK.
- After that, you have to copy and paste HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Avalon.Graphics to the address bar to open it.
- In this step, you have to find DisableHWAcceleration on the right pane. If you are not able to discover DisableHWAcceleration, you are able to create one by right clicking on the empty space on the right pane and click New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and then you are able to name it as DisableHWAcceleration.
- In this step, you have to double click on the DisableHWAcceleration and then set the value to 1 to disable hardware acceleration on your Windows 10.
- The final step, you have to click on the OK to save the setting. Then, you are able to restart your PC and then check if the dxgmms2.sys BSOD error is gone.
Causes of Dxgmms2.sys BSOD Error
You may be able to get dxgmms2.sys blue screen error when you are playing a game or movie if there is an old, corrupted graphics card driver on your Windows PC. Besides, if you find other problems such as RAM or hard disk problems, incompatible firmware, you may also find the dxgmms2.sys BSOD error.
However, when you find this error, you do not need to be worried because it is not a complicated issue. You are able to boot into Windows on the computer with dxgmms2.sys error or enter the safe mode, you can follow the solutions above to get rid of the error.