This page will share 10 quick ways to fix OneDrive not syncing files or folders on Windows, Mac and Mobile. Please just find what you need through the quick guidance below.
10 QUICK WAYS TO FIX ONEDRIVE SYNC PROBLEMS
- REESTABLISH THE SYNC
This is the easiest and quick way to fix OneDrive sync problems. You are able to exit the OneDrive desktop app from your system and sync it again in order to fix the problem. Here are steps to do that:
- At the first step, you have to right-click the OneDrive cloud icon on your notification area. If you cannot find its shortcut, you are able to click on the option of “Show Hidden Icons”.
- From there, you need to select to “Exit” the app and close its desktop program.
- Now, you are able to restart the system, that will allow OneDrive to build the connection again.
If your OneDrive is not syncing, so this will be an easy fix.
- COMPRESS FILES AND FOLDERS
For those who have got a Premium Plan on OneDrive, you will not be able to upload a single file of more than 10 GB. If there is a high-definition video or any other file which is exceeding this storage limit, then you have to try to compress it before uploading. Easily, you are able to compress a file using Windows native feature or WinZip. Then, follow these steps below:
- Please right-click the file you want to compress.
- After that, you have to choose at the Add to Archive or Send to Compressed folder option. It is based on the version of Windows you are currently using. It is going to open a pop-up.
- From here, you are able to choose the type of compression and limit the storage of your file to solve OneDrive sync problems.
- UPDATE WINDOWS
Windows 10 is usually good at offering software to run on slightly older versions. But, this is not always the case. If you discover that OneDrive is not syncing properly, it may require a newer version of the operating system. Also, this is able to occur on MacOS and Mobile app. So, you have to ensure to keep your devices up to date.
For those who are running OneDrive on an older version of Windows, the chances are that you may get the issue while syncing it. It has been surveyed by some users, after they update their Windows, they are able to fix the OneDrive sync problem. Simply, you are able to fix this problem by visiting Control Panel -> System & Security -> Windows Update and check for an update. After that, you are able to select to update your operating system by doing easy instructions.
To update Windows 10, here are steps that you have to do:
- At the first step, you have to go into the settings.
- Then, you need to select the option ‘Update and Security.’
- From here, you are able to go into “Windows update” where you are able to check to see if your system is out of date.
- The optional updates are also worth doing, as they can help fix the problem.
- CONNECT YOUR ONEDRIVE ACCOUNT TO WINDOWS MANUALLY
Oftentimes, Windows builds an automatic connection between the OneDrive directory and your account. However, if there is an issue in the connection, then you may experience OneDrive not syncing problems. In this case, to fix a problem, you have to do these steps below:
- At the first step, you need to visit your Windows settings. To do that, you are able to click on the gear-like symbol and then visit the “Accounts” section.
- After that, you have to click on Email & App Accounts -> Add an account and add your OneDrive account manually.
- It is going to open an interface like this.
- Here, you are able to give your OneDrive credentials and sign-in to your account.
- SELECT THE FOLDERS YOU WANT TO SYNC
Since OneDrive has limited storage, you cannot sync everything to it. If you have just upgraded to Windows 10, then you will need to manually choose the folders you want to sync with OneDrive to fix OneDrive sync problems. Follow these steps below to select the folders you want to sync.
- At the first step, you have to right-click the OneDrive icon from the notification panel and visit its Settings.
- From here, you are able to visit the Account tab.
- Next, you need to click on the button of Choose folders.
- Afterwards, you are going to get a pop-up window.
- Please check the folder you want to sync with OneDrive and then click on the “Ok” button when you are done to implement those changes.
- UNLINK ONEDRIVE FROM YOUR SYSTEM
Manually unlink OneDrive to your Microsoft account is actually an aggressive method to refresh your credentials. It will be able to force your device to sync with the servers. But, this is a longer process than a simple cache refresh. If you still get the OneDrive sync problem after resetting it, then you may unlink it from your computer and later select to sync your folders selectively. This is able to be done by going to the Settings option on OneDrive and choosing the “Accounts” tab. In the text below, we are going to explain in more detail how to do that.
- At the first step, you are able to go to the Settings option on OneDrive.
- After that, you have to choose the “Accounts” tab of the OneDrive settings Window.
- From there, simply choose the option of “Unlink OneDrive” or “Unlink this PC” and apply changes.
- Now, you need to restart your system. In this step, you are able to choose to select the folders you want to sync with OneDrive manually.
- Please sign in to your Microsoft account by submitting your email address and password.
- Lastly, you have to agree that you want to use the existing OneDrive folder. This is going to unlink your account.
- SWITCH OFF THE OFFICE UPLOAD
It has been observed that the automatic office upload option may damage the ongoing functioning of OneDrive. For this case, you are able to switch off the office upload. If your OneDrive is not syncing, do these steps below to fix your problem.
- Please visit its Settings and then click on the “Office” tab.
- From here, you have to uncheck the Use Office to sync Office files that I open.
- Then, simply save your selection by clicking the Ok button.
- The last step, you are able to restart the drive again to fix the problem.
- MANAGE YOUR STORAGE
If you do not have enough space on OneDrive, so the chances are that you are able to get OneDrive not syncing problem. For his case, you have to manage your storage. You need to read the text below to find out on how to manage your storage.
- Firstly, you are able to check the amount of free space you have on OneDrive.
- After that, you have to go to your account right here and log-in by using your credentials.
- From the “Storage” option, you will be able to see the amount of free space you have on OneDrive.
- If you do not have enough space, please try to empty it to fix OneDrive sync problems.
- At the same time, you have to make sure that your hard disk has enough space as well.
- Please visit your directory to check it.
- To order to manage space, you have to right-click it, and then select the option of “Properties”.
- Lastly, you only need to visit the “General” tab and simply click on “Disk cleanup” to manage your storage.
- CHECK IF THE FILE PATH IS TOO LONG
As the guidelines provided by Microsoft, your file path must not exceed 255 characters. If you have made different sub-folders or have a long pathname, then it is able to cause the OneDrive sync issue. This is one of the most efficient ways to help you fix OneDrive sync issues. Now, you are able to visit your folders stored on the OneDrive directory and rename them to maintain a shorter file path.
- RESET ONEDRIVE MANUALLY
Another method to fix OneDrive sync problems is by resetting OneDrive manually. Now, try to reset OneDrive manually to overcome your problem. For your information, there are two ways to do that.
The first way:
- At the first step, you have to open the Run prompt. To do this, you are able to press the Windows and “R” key at the same time.
- After that, you are able to enter the command: %localappdata%MicrosoftOneDriveonedrive.exe /reset.
- This will reset your OneDrive manually.
The second way:
- At the first step, you have to open the command prompt by pressing the Windows and “X” key and choosing the Command Prompt option.
- Then, you need to enter the command.
- After resetting OneDrive, you are able to enter the command below: %localappdata%MicrosoftOneDriveonedrive.exe.
- This will be able to run the setup once again and re-establish the connection.
Well, the text above is 10 quick ways to fix OneDrive not syncing files or folders on Windows, Mac and Mobile. If you get this problem, do not hesitate to try doing those ways above.
OneDrive by Microsoft gives a secure and hassle-free method to keep your data safe on its dedicated cloud. In the beginning, it offered 5 GB of free data to its users and lets them sync their phones and other devices with the drive. However, there are times when OneDrive sync seems to malfunction. If you are experiencing OneDrive not syncing problems, you do not worry. In the previous paragraph, we share 10 quick ways to fix OneDrive not syncing files or folders on Windows, Mac and Mobile. Simply, you only need to try those methods for solving your problem.
WHY ONEDRIVE NOT SYNCING?
There are going to be plenty of reasons if OneDrive is not syncing. If you are running an old version of the app, so the chances are that you can get a OneDrive sync problem. In addition, you could have just run out of space on the cloud as well, and you must try to get more space. Even if you have a premium account, the maximum file size you are able to upload on OneDrive is 10 GB. If you are uploading a large chunk of data, it is also able to cause the OneDrive sync issue. A bad update of your OS, an unreliable connection, or denial of permission are other common reasons that cause the OneDrive not syncing problem. No matter what kind of the problem you are having with OneDrive, we are able to help you fix OneDrive sync problems in this extensive guide. For helping get you started, you are able to know if you are having the problems by checking your icon from your computer.
BEST ONEDRIVE ALTERNATIVE TO BACKUP DATA
We hope that after you follow those methods to help you fix OneDrive sync problems, you are able to resolve any kind of problem you are facing with OneDrive. However, if it is persistent, you are able to use a third-party application to backup data. We are going to inform you that there is a tool that can help you for this. MobileTrans – Backup by Wondershare is a really reliable and secure tool to backup your data from Android and iOS devices to computers. We get information that there are also many people who have used this tool to back up your data. Now, you are able to try using that tool if you want. We are sure that you are able to solve your problem.